
hayduke
Sep 12, 12:50 AM
A long time ago I remember reading that Jobs said that people didn't really want to download movies or even own movies. The only movies worth owning (according to Jobs) were children's movies because they typically watch them hundreds of times. The average adult, on the other hand, might watch his favorite movie a dozen times. I think this idea, whether or not it can be tracked back to Jobs, is spot on. I've bought a few DVDs and most people I know have bought a few, but nobody I know buys as many movies as they do music (even if you compare total duration, rather then #).
I wouldn't be surprised if Apple's movie store is simply the only way to get Disney/Pixar content and they're happy to stash the revenue from those sales in their pocket. They'll sell enough to make it worth the investment and if it goes really well and the demand grows (or Amazon appears to do well), then they just open the doors and make other studio's movies available. I bet this is more of an Apple control issue than a movie studio control issue. Apple is proven when it comes to DRM (like it or not).
I guess we'll see...
I wouldn't be surprised if Apple's movie store is simply the only way to get Disney/Pixar content and they're happy to stash the revenue from those sales in their pocket. They'll sell enough to make it worth the investment and if it goes really well and the demand grows (or Amazon appears to do well), then they just open the doors and make other studio's movies available. I bet this is more of an Apple control issue than a movie studio control issue. Apple is proven when it comes to DRM (like it or not).
I guess we'll see...
freddiecable
Jan 13, 03:06 PM
iPhone Nano is needed. 2.5" instead of 3.5" - making the footprint generally smaller. Many people does not want a PDA-phone. I love my iPhone - but would buy a 2.5" version if there was one.
svenn
Apr 25, 03:20 PM
iPhone
iPhone 3G
iPhone 3GS
iPhone 4
iPhone 4S
iPhone 4G
iPhone 4GS
...
Design change every 2 years. Speed bump up next year after design change. Communication technology change every 4 years.
No way, that would be way too confusing. Apple finally got things lined up with the iphone 4. Next will be the iphone 5, then 6, 7...
iPhone 3G
iPhone 3GS
iPhone 4
iPhone 4S
iPhone 4G
iPhone 4GS
...
Design change every 2 years. Speed bump up next year after design change. Communication technology change every 4 years.
No way, that would be way too confusing. Apple finally got things lined up with the iphone 4. Next will be the iphone 5, then 6, 7...
leekohler
Apr 27, 07:58 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)
Really? That doesn't matter? Well then why don't we have men compete in all the women's events at the Olympics? Oh wait, it does matter
I'm not defending the attackers. I think it was terrible. Horrifying video. It's hard to believe people are like this.
I do think this whole "biology doesn't matter, it's how you feel in your heart" nonsense is obviously nonsense.
He has every right to dress like a girl. I don't even mind if he uses a female bathoom. But those things don't make someone female. The characteristics that allow doctors to assign genders to new-borns do not change as people get older.
There are no words I have to say to you. The ignorance is astounding.
Really? That doesn't matter? Well then why don't we have men compete in all the women's events at the Olympics? Oh wait, it does matter
I'm not defending the attackers. I think it was terrible. Horrifying video. It's hard to believe people are like this.
I do think this whole "biology doesn't matter, it's how you feel in your heart" nonsense is obviously nonsense.
He has every right to dress like a girl. I don't even mind if he uses a female bathoom. But those things don't make someone female. The characteristics that allow doctors to assign genders to new-borns do not change as people get older.
There are no words I have to say to you. The ignorance is astounding.
more...
MSM Hobbes
Mar 25, 10:55 PM
So,,, ok,,, an OS that is 10 years,,, that is like what, in human years? Hmmmm... :cool:
Congrats and warm thanks to all at Apple (and your friends and families ;)) that helped create, nurture, and bring this wonderful s/w to us all.
:apple:
Congrats and warm thanks to all at Apple (and your friends and families ;)) that helped create, nurture, and bring this wonderful s/w to us all.
:apple:
gekko513
Nov 16, 04:40 PM
If AMD has cheaper chips than Intel that also fully support Rosetta and all that (SSE3), then I may see it happening.
more...
roadbloc
Apr 17, 06:36 AM
I just want to sync my music. **** itunes **** what ever. I love bit torrent. I refuse to pay for music or movies.
Nice one arsehole. Ruining my industry. I hope you don't get paid for the next few shifts you do at work and then maybe you'll realise how selfish and greedy you're being.
Nice one arsehole. Ruining my industry. I hope you don't get paid for the next few shifts you do at work and then maybe you'll realise how selfish and greedy you're being.
iMikeT
Oct 19, 05:22 PM
When one considers Dell's quality of their computers, why are they still #1?
more...
Mad Mac Maniac
Apr 22, 09:58 AM
Anyone else hate the ugly purple square around the arrows? What purpose do they serve?
I do think there should only be "ups", but the icon could be a checkmark. When you click it some subtext would appear below/next to it. Something like "You liked this comment" or "You agree with comment" or "This comment was helpful".
Probably the first of the 3 suggestions is best, because it covers much broader scenarios. Additionally you could also break it down into different buttons like a "agree" button and a "helpful" button, but maybe we want to just keep it simple.
Also, I still think it would be good to accrue the number of "likes", "agrees", or "helpful", or whatever it would be to help the member obtain different statuses.
As I'm thinking about it, it may also be beneficial to weigh in the percentage of "liked" comments in addition to the amount. For Example, a person with 20,000 comments may have 500 likes, and a person with 50 comments could have the same 500 likes, but clearly the second person typically produces better comments and that should be considered accordingly. Of course this may be slightly difficult to factor exactly how to do it, especially when you consider that people have been using this site for years and already have accrued thounsands of posts. (perhaps this system of "percentages" would only apply to new posts after this system was in place)
Just spitballing here. am I out of line?
I do think there should only be "ups", but the icon could be a checkmark. When you click it some subtext would appear below/next to it. Something like "You liked this comment" or "You agree with comment" or "This comment was helpful".
Probably the first of the 3 suggestions is best, because it covers much broader scenarios. Additionally you could also break it down into different buttons like a "agree" button and a "helpful" button, but maybe we want to just keep it simple.
Also, I still think it would be good to accrue the number of "likes", "agrees", or "helpful", or whatever it would be to help the member obtain different statuses.
As I'm thinking about it, it may also be beneficial to weigh in the percentage of "liked" comments in addition to the amount. For Example, a person with 20,000 comments may have 500 likes, and a person with 50 comments could have the same 500 likes, but clearly the second person typically produces better comments and that should be considered accordingly. Of course this may be slightly difficult to factor exactly how to do it, especially when you consider that people have been using this site for years and already have accrued thounsands of posts. (perhaps this system of "percentages" would only apply to new posts after this system was in place)
Just spitballing here. am I out of line?
Sedrick
Mar 19, 07:36 AM
Not that they need to change anything, obviously. Keep the same shatter prone design, horrible ergonomics, 3.5" screen and just bolt on the A5 chip and everyone'll still lap it up ;)
This, actually, is my biggest concern: That Apple will just be smug enough to think they don't need to do anything with the design.
This, actually, is my biggest concern: That Apple will just be smug enough to think they don't need to do anything with the design.
more...
TheMonarch
Sep 7, 10:14 PM
Maroon 5 sucks, though. Its so boring. Not on the same level as Keane, but still quite a snoozer.
Funny thing is that Kanye is a Maroon 5 fan, and has the lead singer from Maroon 5 on the 2nd track of his new album, Late Registration. Good song, too. :)
I think maroon 5 is OK, not the best, but good.
SO he's a big fan of them, but bitc*es about them when they beat him. Damn. Now I really don't like him. childish of him.
Funny thing is that Kanye is a Maroon 5 fan, and has the lead singer from Maroon 5 on the 2nd track of his new album, Late Registration. Good song, too. :)
I think maroon 5 is OK, not the best, but good.
SO he's a big fan of them, but bitc*es about them when they beat him. Damn. Now I really don't like him. childish of him.
Korivak
Oct 3, 09:56 PM
I think a lot of people are setting themselves up to be disappointed.
People have been talking about the iPhone for literally years now. And you never know - it might happen. But I think it's more likely that iPods will keep on being iPods. This is the product that hasn't ever added something as simple as an FM tuner, and the reason that they haven't is that it's more parts, more menu items, higher cost and something that only a very few feature addicts care about. Everyone and there uncle already has a cell phone, and a significant percentage of people already have an iPod - and most of them aren't about to throw away hundreds of dollars worth of techie toys that work perfectly to spend hundreds more on something that does the exact same things. Think back to the iPod Photos. Neat idea, a whole new major feature...and the only one that sold well was the one with the larger hard drive. Pretty much everyone thought it was cool, and then ignored it and bought the less expensive monochrome iPod (unless they happened to have 60 GBs of music). Maybe if the iPod was able to add cell support cheaply enough that it was a standard feature across the entire line (like the eventual iPod with Colour Screen), then it would sell - but that's a big engineering and manufacturing challenge for a feature not everyone's going to use (unlike colour album art, which you can't really help but enjoy). Hell, the amount of negotiation it would take to get iPhones working on different networks all around the world (a bit more of a localization issue than just translation and a standard USB interface) would be a nightmare, and probably be better spent getting more music, tv shows and movies.
And a "real" video iPod? I'm content with the current "fake" iPod with Video. Widescreen, larger screen, touch screen, wireless...it's all going to cost money and battery life. If you really want a "real" video iPod, get a Zune when it comes out. Microsoft, sweethearts that they are, will sell it to you at a loss because they don't have to worry about silly and mundane things like profit. But you can't plug it in to your Mac or import your iTMS music to it. Eventually, Apple will figure out a way to improve the iPod and still make a profit, and at that point, they'll release the - say it with me - the iPod. Until then, you can have your choice of the iPod, or not-an-iPod.
Also, if Steve Jobs were to retire, all he'd do all day would be hang out at Apple and give passionate speeches about Apple products. Basically, exactly what he does now.
People have been talking about the iPhone for literally years now. And you never know - it might happen. But I think it's more likely that iPods will keep on being iPods. This is the product that hasn't ever added something as simple as an FM tuner, and the reason that they haven't is that it's more parts, more menu items, higher cost and something that only a very few feature addicts care about. Everyone and there uncle already has a cell phone, and a significant percentage of people already have an iPod - and most of them aren't about to throw away hundreds of dollars worth of techie toys that work perfectly to spend hundreds more on something that does the exact same things. Think back to the iPod Photos. Neat idea, a whole new major feature...and the only one that sold well was the one with the larger hard drive. Pretty much everyone thought it was cool, and then ignored it and bought the less expensive monochrome iPod (unless they happened to have 60 GBs of music). Maybe if the iPod was able to add cell support cheaply enough that it was a standard feature across the entire line (like the eventual iPod with Colour Screen), then it would sell - but that's a big engineering and manufacturing challenge for a feature not everyone's going to use (unlike colour album art, which you can't really help but enjoy). Hell, the amount of negotiation it would take to get iPhones working on different networks all around the world (a bit more of a localization issue than just translation and a standard USB interface) would be a nightmare, and probably be better spent getting more music, tv shows and movies.
And a "real" video iPod? I'm content with the current "fake" iPod with Video. Widescreen, larger screen, touch screen, wireless...it's all going to cost money and battery life. If you really want a "real" video iPod, get a Zune when it comes out. Microsoft, sweethearts that they are, will sell it to you at a loss because they don't have to worry about silly and mundane things like profit. But you can't plug it in to your Mac or import your iTMS music to it. Eventually, Apple will figure out a way to improve the iPod and still make a profit, and at that point, they'll release the - say it with me - the iPod. Until then, you can have your choice of the iPod, or not-an-iPod.
Also, if Steve Jobs were to retire, all he'd do all day would be hang out at Apple and give passionate speeches about Apple products. Basically, exactly what he does now.
more...
dunnick
May 2, 03:16 PM
How about a 4.2.1.1 update for "legacy" iPhones?
And includes a way to shut off the stupid compass which seems to be borderline cripple-ware for phones that lack the magnetometer.
And includes a way to shut off the stupid compass which seems to be borderline cripple-ware for phones that lack the magnetometer.
Mars478
Mar 17, 05:53 PM
Oh my god... you jealous people always find a way to criticize someone... Seriously, this forum disgusts me sometimes.
more...
vnle
Apr 10, 06:56 PM
Similar tastes...I have the 23" and M10's as well. But where did you find black Swans?...unless it's painted after the fact
Not the OP but here ya go! (http://lockwaresystems.com/swanm10b-179.html)
Not the OP but here ya go! (http://lockwaresystems.com/swanm10b-179.html)

jettredmont
Sep 25, 07:40 PM
All except for a few itsy bitsy tiny details.
A: Apple didn't create the event, It is a photography event put on by someone else.
Not to mention, it is a photography event that happens once every two years, which means this is Aperture's first time available during Photokina!
A: Apple didn't create the event, It is a photography event put on by someone else.
Not to mention, it is a photography event that happens once every two years, which means this is Aperture's first time available during Photokina!
more...
macfan881
Oct 6, 01:38 PM
Verizon Still SUCKS over ATT though mainly for two reasons A. They Cripple the phones beyond belife and 2 there lovely UI is disgusting
firsttube
Sep 12, 07:37 AM
Ok, I've been going to macrumors.com for about 8 years or so, but I rarely post. How do I vote whether a story is positive or negative? They each look like a link, but upon clicking either and then refreshing the page.. nothing is any different. Am I missing something?
ft
edit: I know it's kinda OT, but I need to know if I've been doing something wrong all this time.
ft
edit: I know it's kinda OT, but I need to know if I've been doing something wrong all this time.
rdowns
Apr 13, 11:13 AM
Great, a shoot out on a plane loaded with innocent bystanders. :rolleyes:
There are already armed marshall on many flights in the US. WHen was the last time we had a shoot out in the sky? :rolleyes:
There are already armed marshall on many flights in the US. WHen was the last time we had a shoot out in the sky? :rolleyes:
vixapphire
Jan 15, 05:05 PM
I think the best is the Apple TV. I mean seriously. They did all that and didn't require you to get new hardware. Good one for Apple.
that's only because it was a largely useless p.o.s. product out of the gate, and they've only just gotten around to "repurposing" it in the itunes rental scheme.
that's only because it was a largely useless p.o.s. product out of the gate, and they've only just gotten around to "repurposing" it in the itunes rental scheme.
iCrizzo
May 3, 01:50 PM
I use the jailbroken app for free tethering on my iPhone.
Macky-Mac
May 4, 03:46 PM
No, we've had similar discussions before regarding a physician's willingness to treat someone due to their own personal religious beliefs, etc. and their response was quite different... the vast majority in that case believed that the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT should not allow doctors to ask such questions or refuse to perform procedures they found philosophically reprehensible such as abortions... as if each physician in the country is some sort of robot working at the service of the government no longer allowed to think or reason on their own. But, now that it's about guns, they take a different approach. It's a very distinct hypocrisy.
nope; you've simply mixed up the issues and the responses
nope; you've simply mixed up the issues and the responses
*LTD*
Mar 11, 01:08 PM
I thought the iPod succeeded due to integration with an online music source, as well as finally being a useable HD based mp3 player.
I wasn't aware computing had changed. Please detail this.
Milestone 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0FtgZNOD44
Milestone 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftf4riVJyqw
Milestone 3 (the most recent):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBhYxj2SvRI
Any questions?
I wasn't aware computing had changed. Please detail this.
Milestone 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0FtgZNOD44
Milestone 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftf4riVJyqw
Milestone 3 (the most recent):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBhYxj2SvRI
Any questions?
IJ Reilly
Oct 19, 03:26 PM
The most likely scenario is somewhere in the middle... Vista will get mixed reviews, but will be viewed a a very significant improvement over XP, and Leopard will be a significant improvement over Tiger, but will only have a few features that Vista lacks, and some of the upgraders-in-waiting will take the plunge, but the more conservative will stick with the devil-they-know. As a result, the number of OS X installs will continue to grow, but it won't break the crucial 10% market share that makes it a 'mainstream' OS.
FWIW, the Mac was considered marginal by its critics even when the Mac's market share was close to 15%, so I would not bank on it being suddenly declared "mainstream." Growth is important if only because it suggests the sustainability of the platform to those who might otherwise doubt it, but I don't think there's any magic number that can be expected to shift the perception of the Mac in the minds of the public.
My sense is that the current growth in market share is in large part the iPod halo effect finally happening. People are walking into Apple stores to buy iPods. They carry that Apple logo around their pockets for awhile, and gradually come to the realization that Apple is cool. Apple is really cool now, and this counts for a lot. This is one reason I think Vista won't matter much to Apple, if only because no matter what Microsoft does, no matter how hard they try, and no matter how many features they deliver with Vista, Microsoft will never, ever be cool. In fact, their entire image is the antithesis of cool. It's an image they've cultivated -- like IBM before them: dull, but always there. You don't change that with one OS release. I don't think even Xbox did that for them.
This is Apple's moment. They're looking at a string of green lights right down the road. It sure will be interesting to see how far they go.
FWIW, the Mac was considered marginal by its critics even when the Mac's market share was close to 15%, so I would not bank on it being suddenly declared "mainstream." Growth is important if only because it suggests the sustainability of the platform to those who might otherwise doubt it, but I don't think there's any magic number that can be expected to shift the perception of the Mac in the minds of the public.
My sense is that the current growth in market share is in large part the iPod halo effect finally happening. People are walking into Apple stores to buy iPods. They carry that Apple logo around their pockets for awhile, and gradually come to the realization that Apple is cool. Apple is really cool now, and this counts for a lot. This is one reason I think Vista won't matter much to Apple, if only because no matter what Microsoft does, no matter how hard they try, and no matter how many features they deliver with Vista, Microsoft will never, ever be cool. In fact, their entire image is the antithesis of cool. It's an image they've cultivated -- like IBM before them: dull, but always there. You don't change that with one OS release. I don't think even Xbox did that for them.
This is Apple's moment. They're looking at a string of green lights right down the road. It sure will be interesting to see how far they go.