Idol 97 - Melissa McGhee

97. Melissa McGhee
Season 5, 12th Place

Melissa is an extremely talented girl although I didn’t care much about her. She didn’t seem like anything special as she was just there to me. I predicted - and wanted - her to leave right before they picked the Top 12 and when she did make it, I was seriously pissed because she made it over my other favorite female at that time, Ayla Brown. Ha.

However, I do admit that Melissa has a pretty cool raspy, bluesy country voice and her bluesy-rocker singing style was unique to that season’s bunch. It's actually a cool voice, but not terribly unique or distinguishable. I think she has an amazing upper range too.

Now, although at first I didn't think she deserved a spot in the Final 12 during Season 5, Melissa didn't really do anything terrible to merit being eliminated at 12th place - hello, Kevin Covais! Haha. To me, she was mostly a victim of limited airtime. I guess one could make the case that she would've gotten a substantial amount of airtime if she had a more engaging personality, which is probably true.

I remember Simon often told her that she was forgettable and I couldn't agree with him more. I mean, when I think of Season 5, I think of so many names very quickly and I guarantee that Melissa would be the last one I'd remember. Maybe she had no charisma whatsoever.. I don't know. 

All that being said, if I had heard more of her I probably would've liked and appreciated her as a serious artist. Too bad she didn't catch on as the "country chick" of Season 5 because a Top 6 with her in the place of someone else would've been pretty good, in my humble opinion.

Favorite performance(s): Why Haven't I Heard from You was good.  Before that week she just seemed like a bore, but she proved to me with this performance that she has a terrific soulful country voice that I could enjoy. Sadly, can't find a video of that anywhere. Her rendition of What About Love was pretty underrated and her take on Stevie Wonder's Lately was good although I cringed a couple of times when she forgot her lyrics twice.

What About Love


Lately


96# - This contestant has done prison time.